During our Dutch Advanced Course, we will help you to take your Dutch to the next level! By now, you are probably quite familiar with the basics and can already have a decent conversation. This course aims to build on this and take you through the second half of the B1 level. The course consists of ten 2-hour sessions with one of our teachers via Zoom. In addition to the lessons, you will receive homework exercises after each lesson that you have to complete. We will also give you the possibility to do extra exercises on your own time. You can find more information regarding our Dutch Advanced Course on this page.
The lessons will take place weekly via Zoom and your class will consist of a maximum of 10 students. Below you can find the complete schedule.
- Lesson 1: Monday 26 September from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 2: Monday 3 October from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 3: Monday 10 October from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 4: Monday 17 October from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 5: Monday 24 October from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 6: Monday 31 October from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 7: Monday 7 November from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 8: Monday 14 November from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 9: Monday 21 November from 19:00-21:00
- Lesson 10: Monday 28 November from 19:00-21:00
This Advanced course starts at approximately halfway through level B1 (B1.1) and aims to help you reach the B1 level. Whereas our classes from levels 0-A1 and A1-A2 both consist of 10 2-hour classes, it takes quite some more time and effort to get from levels A2-B1. Therefore, the road to the B1 level is split up into two different classes (course B1.1 & B1.2), which both consist of 10 2-hour lessons. The course you are looking at right now is the B1.2 class (advanced), and thus the second part of this series.
During this Advanced Course, we will help you to:
- Understand main points of clear standard speech on familiar matters.
- Understand texts that consist of high-frequency everyday or job-related language.
- Deal with most situations likely to arise whilst traveling in the Netherlands.
- Enter conversations on topics that are familiar or pertinent to everyday life unprepared.
- Connect phrases in a simple way to describe experiences, events, dreams, hopes and ambitions.
- Write simple connected texts on topics that are familiar or of personal interest.
- Briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
Structure of the lessons
In this more advanced course we focus on more different skills, namely: writing Dutch, reading Dutch, speaking Dutch, and listening to Dutch. These skills are most important to manage yourself in Dutch in a more advanced manner. As a better understanding of the grammar and a more extensive vocabulary are also necessary in order to understand more complex conversations, your teacher will devote attention to these parts as well.
Your class will consist of a maximum of 10 students. Occasionally, there will be extra activities afterward (i.e. a pub quiz) to practice what you have learned in an informal situation and to learn a bit more about the Dutch culture.
The course will be given via Zoom, which is a very user friendly (online) program.
Method (De Sprong)
De Sprong is the method that the Teacher will use during the course. It is specialized in learning Dutch for higher educated foreigners. It contains many appealing exercises and practical examples. The course (and book) contains themes that are present in your daily life, such as studying, professions, society, communication, politics, and art.
The purchase of De Sprong (€41,50) is required in order to follow the course. You will need it to do the homework exercises each week, and to have access to listening exercises and grammar explanations. Also, the book contains extra practice questions which are very useful and also continue where our course stops. Due to the limited amount of lessons, we cannot go through the whole book in this Advanced course. The first part of the book will be treated in our Dutch Intermediate Course. Since the book is also suitable for self-study, it is possible to use and learn from the book yourself after the course has ended!
You can purchase the paperback version of the book here, or the online version (which is cheaper) here.
Our Dutch Advanced Course costs €150,-. This is excluding the book.